Know your type
One of the best ways to combat any skin problem, is to know your type, and its condition. This is something that is mixed up very often. There are 4 basic skin types but many skin conditions. For instance, you could have oily skin (type) but be dehydrated (condition). Many of my clients will tell me in the consolation that they have dry skin, and treat it as such, but they cannot figure out why they still get breakouts. Its simple, they are mistaking their condition for their type. So in the case of the above, they are treating their skin as if they have dry skin, therefore adding more oil, and the consequence is, more breakouts.
Skin types are the description of how and why your skin looks and behaves as it does. Skin types are determined mostly from genetics, water content and your sebaceous glands. These small glands in the skin, secrete an oil into the hair follicles which lubricate the skin and hair. The 4 most common skin types are; Normal, Oily, Dry and Combination.
Normal Skin: If you have a normal skin type, you’re lucky to have skin that has a good balance and the right amounts of water and lipids. Normal skin has;
- No or few imperfections
- No severe sensitivity
- Barely visible pores
- A radient complexion
Oily Skin: Oily skin is more common in youth. It occurs when glands in the skin secrete too much oil (lipids). Oily skin can produce:
- Enlarged pores
- Dull or shiny thick complexion
- Blackheads, spots or other blemishes
Dry Skin: This type of skin results from genetic or hormonal factors that cause an imbalance in how much and where lipids are produced. It can also vary, depending on the weather. Dry skin can produce;
- Almost invisible pores
- Dull, rough complexion
- Red patches
- Less elasticity
- More visible lines
Combination Skin: A combination skin type can be dry or normal in some areas, and oily in others, such as the T-zone. The T-zone is the nose, forehead, and chin area. This is a common skin type, and may benefit from slightly different types of skin care in different areas. Combination skin can produce;
- Over-dilated pores
- Shiny skin
Down to basics
A lot of problems can be cleared up simply by knowing your skin type, its condition and using the correct products accordingly. Find out about conditions here
. No matter what your type, the basics of skincare apply to everyone, helping your skin stay healthy, hydrated and happy!
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Stay hydrated – both topically and internally.
- Wash your skin thoroughly every day and don’t wear make-up to bed.
- Exfoliate two to three times per week.
- Don’t smoke.
- Moisturize , even if you have oily skin! Oily skin still needs hydration, otherwise it will become dehydrated and then produce more oil, which is the last thing you need.
- Avoid direct sunlight and wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Use good skincare products, professional if possible.
- Ignore the latest fads! (Everyone saw the charcoal peel off mask) they can do more harm than good.
Karen Payne - Esthetician - Kensington salon and spa